Sorley & Still
Barristers and Solicitors

15064 Yonge Street
Aurora, ON L4G 1M2
Telephone: 905-726-9956
Facsimile: 905-726-9957

& By Appointment Only
2 - 450 Hume Street
Collingwood, ON L9Y 1W6
Telephone: 705-994-4616

General Inquiry Email:

Family Law - Property Division

In the absence of an enforceable domestic contract, property division following the breakdown of a marriage is governed by the two step procedure set out in the Family Law Act (Ontario). First, the “net family property” of each of the spouses is calculated. Second, as a general rule, the spouse with the greater “net family property” is obliged to pay one-half the difference to the other spouse. Where “equalization” would lead to an unconscionable result, an unequal split of net family property may be ordered by the Court.

“Net family property” consists of all of the property in a spouse’s name, valued as of the valuation date, after deducting debts and the value of property the spouse brought into the marriage. Special rules apply to the matrimonial home.

Pensions, even though they are not liquid, are considered property for the purposes of the Family Law Act (Ontario) and must be valued by the pension administrator.

Sound confusing? It can be.

There are many exceptions and special treatment in the calculation of a married spouse’s “net family property” for things such as a matrimonial home, gifts, inheritances and contingent interests in properties. Additionally, consideration ought to be given to the tax implications of proposed property settlements.

There are also strict time lines affecting your claim with the result that, if you wait too long to make a claim for property division, you may be barred from doing so.

The Family Law Act (Ontario) does not extend property division rights to unmarried couples. There may, nonetheless, be certain remedies available such as unjust enrichment claims which are, by their nature, expensive to pursue and difficult to prove.

Let Sorley & Still Help You: Sorley & Still’s lawyers can help you understand your property rights on the dissolution of your marriage or common law relationship.





DISCLAIMER: The materials on this web site are provided for general informational purposes, only, and not for the purpose of providing legal advice and should not, therefore, be relied upon. There are no representations or warranties made as to the accuracy or substantive adequacy of any information provided in this web site. The information on this web site is subject to legislative change and changes in judicial interpretation and may be incomplete or no longer current. Use of and access to this web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the web site do not create a lawyer-client relationship between Sorley & Still and the user. THE USER SHOULD CONTACT HIS OR HER LAWYER TO OBTAIN ADVICE WITH RESPECT TO ANY SPECIFIC ISSUE OR PROBLEM.